Chocolate Gravy

This is a local favorite, which until I came to NW Arkansas I had never heard of.  But my Arkansas and Oklahoma students all learned to make it from their Nanas, and in fact this recipe comes to me from one of my students (thanks, James!)

Ingredients:

  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • dash of salt
  • 2 1/2 rounded tbs of coca powder
  • 3 1/2 cups milk
  • A little butter

Whisk together the dry ingredients

Mix in the milk slowly.  You're working to avoid lumps here.  Stir constantly over a medium heat until the mix thickens to a nice muddy texture.

Put in a serving bowl.  You can stir in butter to taste, and then either dip in your biscuits or spread onto your biscuits and eat, depending on how you prefer.  You can also just rip up your biscuits, put'em in the gravy, and eat them up with a fork.  

It's also good on toast if you're one of those that eats toast.




Comments